I’ll tell you right now: the world will not end if you don’t eat breakfast. In fact, you might be a perfectly functioning member of society, completely healthy, and even happier if you don’t eat breakfast!
That being said, sometimes our reason for skipping breakfast kind of stink. We don’t eat breakfast because we’re feeling rushed, we don’t feel like preparing a meal, we don’t know what to cook, or we just don’t wake up hungry.
Some of the reasons I recommend that people eat breakfast:
- It gets your metabolism going, helping you feel more awake and alert.
- It fuels your brain with necessary nutrients so you can think and be your most productive.
- It stops those “hangry” (i.e., hungry + angry) feelings we sometimes get when we’re overly hungry.
- It helps you stop night-time cravings by making sure that you’ve gotten in enough calories earlier in the day.
If you suffer from any of the above, you might find that eating breakfast actually makes your day feel a little happier and healthier. It can set you on a positive track and helps you have the energy for your day.
Give breakfast a try for a couple weeks, and notice any differences in your mood, energy, or night-time eating habits!
Here are a couple of tricks to get you started eating breakfast:
- Drink a glass of water when you wake up to get your body hungry and ready for food.
- Eat your breakfast in within 1-2 hours of waking up to maximize the benefits.
- Make high protein bars or muffins that you can pull from the freezer and take on the go.
If you find yourself without any appetite for breakfast, make sure you’re drink a glass of water, tea, or coffee in the morning. It helps your body wake up and can prime your stomach to get ready for digestion.
If you’re still don’t have an appetite, take a look at how much you’re eating at night. You might need to decrease your amount of after-dinner snacks, so you’re hungry and excited for your breakfast meal.
Give yourself a few weeks for your body to adjust and to notice how you feel when you eat breakfast. It may just become the favorite part of your day!
Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day,
Samantha Attard, PhD, is the founder of Happy Healthy Human. Sam is a performance coach and yoga instructor who helps people eat, move, and live with intention. Learn more here.