Zoodles with pesto and chickpeas is a simple summer dish that you’ll love!
Knowing that I have a predominantly vata dosha, my body digests cooked food much better than raw. Plus, a little bit of fat/oil in my food helps lubricate my digestive tract and keeps me bloat free. Some people suggest boiling your zoodles, but I didn’t want them to get soggy, and I love a little crunch. Instead, I opted to sauté my zoodles. I melt some olive or coconut oil in a big frying pan, add my zoodles, and cover the pan to gently cook them for about 3-5 minutes or until soft.
It’s made a huge difference! Cooking it in oil improves the flavor and my stomach is happy with me again. Now, we’re back to eating zoodles at least once each week.
One of our favorite ways to cook zoodles is with a quick homemade pesto. The combination of zoodles and pesto is super fresh and light, perfect for those hot summer days. I usually don’t have tons of basil on hand, so I mix in different herbs and greens. The flavor is just as good. In this recipe, I use chickpeas that I lightly roast on the stovetop to add a little protein, creaminess, and structure.
I want to know – do you cook your zoodles? How? I’d love to hear how my method works for you!
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- juice of 1 lemon
- black pepper
- Handful of cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Heat up olive oil for the pasta in a large skillet.
- Add cooked chickpeas and warm.
- Add spiralized zucchini, stirring to coat in oil.
- When zucchini is soft, remove from heat.
- Prepare Pesto: Combine shredded kale, basil, olive oil, walnuts, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust spices as necessary.
- Mix pesto on cooked pasta. Top with cherry tomatoes if you're including.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day,
Samantha Attard, PhD, is the founder of Happy Healthy Human. Sam is a performance coach, yoga instructor, and makes delicious snacks to help you eat with intention. Learn more here.
Healthy Carbs Cheat Sheet
Get the guidelines on good vs bad carbs, including a sample day's meal plan!