Use this Ayurveda guide to give yourself some Calm this summer!
Summertime is ruled by the sun. The daytime is longer and lighter, and there’s a palpable warmth that the sun brings.
In Ayurveda, summertime is Pitta time. It’s heat, it’s power, it’s brightness. It’s the force that makes us want to be outgoing and charismatic.
Too much Pitta causes:
- red, itchy, or dry skin
- impatience and anger
- overwhelmed or saying yes to too many things
The good news is that you can prevent all of these things from happening through some simple daily practices in your diet, exercise and routines.
Here are some simple tips to reduce Pitta and stay healthy this Summer.
A Balancing Summer Diet:
- Raw is your friend. Summer is the time to eat raw, juicy fruits and vegetables. Your digestion is strongest in Pitta time, and these foods have a cooling effect on your body. Bonus points if you go for cucumbers, watermelons, peaches, and greens, which have the best effect.
- Skip the hot sauce. Stay away from hot and spicy foods, because they’ll just keep you overheated! Use milder flavors and use cooling green herbs like parsley, cilantro, dill, and fennel rather than hot spices like cayenne and pepper to flavor your foods.
- Go coco-nuts. Seriously. Coconut oil is incredibly cooling and should be used in every form! Coconut water is perfect after a workout or outdoor hike, use coconut oil for your cooking, and spoon some coconut cream onto your breakfast smoothie bowl.
- Reduce the intensity of your exercise. Depending on how hot it is where you live and how much time you’re spending outside, you may want to dial back your gym time. Definitely enjoy the great outdoors and get active, and consider lighter, gentler forms of exercise to complement that activity.
- Exercise early morning or late night. Avoid the hottest parts of the day and get active when the sun is not as strong – early morning or late night.
- Get to the water. Water in all of it’s forms (ocean, lake, pool, slip and slide) will feel balancing and delightful.
- Connect to your heart. One of the best ways to balance your Pitta is to connect to people and causes that matter to you. Volunteer, visit your friends who live far away, and otherwise do things that make your heart feel good.
Summer sweetness in a healthy, convenient package:
Calm is the perfect snack to keep you feeling your best this summer. It’s organic, gluten free, and vegan!
The ingredients include coconut oil and coconut flakes to keep you cool. Fennel seeds are included because they’re a cooling spice that helps your digestion work optimally. Organic wild blueberries add a touch of sweetness and celebration of summer. Roasted chickpeas add protein, fiber, and crunch to keep you full and happy throughout your day!
What tip from this article are you going to use this summer? Leave your response in a comment below!Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day,
Samantha Attard, PhD, is the founder of Happy Healthy Human. Sam is a performance coach, yoga instructor, and makes delicious snacks to help you eat with intention. Learn more here.
Healthy Carbs Cheat Sheet
Get the guidelines on good vs bad carbs, including a sample day's meal plan!